Here’s why everyone should care about SEO on their website
Growing your website depends completely on your marketing strategy. The better it is, the higher you rank. However, websites are not always easy to rank. One, because traffic can be uncertain. Second, most website administrators are not aware of how to properly bring organic traffic to their websites.
Organic traffic is the traffic that you receive through Google, Bing, and other search engines. There is a way to get more traffic through search engines and this is called SEO.
In this article, we will discuss why it is important to learn about SEO and how it can help your digital business prosper. But first, we have to learn about how SEO works.
SEO 101: How Google Ranks Websites?
Consider a search engine as a buffet dinner. The SEO is the menu at the start of the buffet table. You can read it and then get to the dish that you want.
Each dish is numbered and labelled properly. You can easily get to your desired dish without any effort.
Search engines index the websites in the same way. They have bots that index every page and show it when the people ask for them through the search bar.
There are a few ways search engines find what page to rank on top for a search query. They use backlinks, site authority, and site age. All these are important for ranking any website on search engines to get organic traffic.
Google specifically uses backlinks to rank pages higher in search engines. For Google, each backlink is a vote that shows that the website is of quality. It has further segmented each backlink into higher authority, low authority, and zero juice backlinks.
SEO Metrics to Remember
Since we are talking about SEO and how it can help a website get more organic traffic, it is important to learn various SEO metrics.
These SEO metrics help site administrators know where their websites stand.
Traffic: Traffic is the number of visitors you get to your website. These visitors can be from organic sources, referral sources, or even paid traffic sources.
Positioning: Site positioning for keywords is a metric that tells where your site is in the search engines. If your overall site positioning is under 20 this means your site ranks on the first and second page of Google.
Indexing: Site indexing can be found in the Google search console. Indexing tells about how many pages of your website have been crawled by Google bots.
Bounce Rate: Bounce Rate is a Google Analytics metric. It tells how many people are bouncing off your website.
Average Time: Average Time is another Google Analytics metric. It tells how many minutes a user is spending on your website pages.
Third-Party SEO Metrics
Since it is hard to predict where your website stands in Google or any other search engine, third-party search tools have made their own metrics. We will discuss some of the most used ones.
DR: Domain Rating (DR) is a metric by Ahrefs. It tells about the domain age and the number of links pointing to the website. DR only takes into account dofollow links and their relevance of the website content.
DA: Domain Authority (DA) is an SEO metric by Moz. it tells about the domain age, the number of links pointing to the website, and DA of the sites linking. It takes into account both dofollow and nofollow links.
TF: Trust Flow (TF) is a site metric by the Majestic SEO tool. It checks the number of high-quality links pointing to the website and their relevance to the content. It evaluates the quality by checking the TF of linking domains and their rankings in SERPs.
Backlinks: It is a common link building metric. It tells how many inbound links a website gets on average.
Develop Your Ecom Store with us, Sydney’s Finest eCommerce Website Designers. Get In Touch!
Why SEO Is Important?
Most beginners are unaware of how SEO can help them get more relevant traffic to their websites. They want to know what SEO can do for them. So, here are a few things that SEO can do for a website.
- Exposure: SEO can help websites get more exposure. The more keywords a website rank for, the more traffic it gets. This means it has more exposure to people. In return, it gets more orders, and its profitability increases.
- Traffic: If you want relevant traffic to your website/eCommerce store, then SEO is the best way to achieve that. People type queries and then select your website link to get to it.
- Leads: Leads from organic ranking are more likely to turn into customers because they are relevant, precise, and targeted to the right types of users.
- Growth: More customers translate to more orders. And, more orders means more growth for your website.
How to Rank Sites for the Right Keywords?
Now that we are aware of how SEO works, let’s learn how you can rank for the right keywords. Here are some of the best ways to do that.
- Fulfil User Intent: Right content that answers user search keyword intent. If your website is answering user queries and fulfilling their intent then you are already ranking for the right keywords.
- Know Your Website Goal: You should know what your website’s main goal is. The content you create should match your long-term vision.
- Test & Optimize: Ranking for keywords is not a direct science, there are many factors involved in it. Therefore, you will need to experiment and apply new ways. Optimizing your site content will help you rank higher for your relevant queries.
- Try Keyword Variations: If you are getting traffic but it is not converting, then perhaps the keywords you are ranking for are not the right ones. In such a case, try different keyword variations.
- Make Landing Pages Appealing: Finally, it is important that your landing pages have only one call to action i.e. filling the form or ordering a product or service. So, run A/B tests to see how your landing pages are performing and then optimize them. This will help increase site retention and decrease the bounce rate.
Knowing how SEO works is more important than ever for any website owner. Not only will it help them rank faster, but it will also help them rank for the right keywords. This will directly impact their bottom line.
With that said, if you are unsure how to rank your website or eCommerce store for the right keywords, our Sydney SEO specialists and marketers can help you. We offer FREE marketing consultation for eCommerce stores. So, get in touch with us today!
Updated on: 9 October 2020 |